Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Close Readings

If I'm going to be honest, I really hate doing close reading analyzing. Well, I guess I really just don't like how we do it in class. I prefer to annotate paragraphs in a whole. I like being able to put the sentence in context with the rest of the writing so it helps me decipher what the author is trying to get across. I will pick out certain parts I don't understand and translate it into my own meaning, or just something that is easier for me to comprehend.

What I really don't like about the close readings in class is how much ambiguity there is. I don't like how we pick out one sentence, with nothing surrounding it, and just attempt to understand exactly what the author means. I feel like just attacking the sentence as a whole, not just little words, is easier to understand and less complicated.

The easiest way for me to attack a close reading is to annotate and make notes in the margin and ask myself questions. When I'm done, I will go back and attempt to understand little things at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment