Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Gillian Lynne Assignment


A Day in the Life – Age: 8 – 2011

“Gillian! Breakfast is ready!” I run downstairs as fast as I possibly can. I mean, come on, who doesn’t love chocolate chip pancakes. I stop immediately as soon as I see the look my mom gives me. It’s the usual look. The “calm down before I yell” look. I slowly walk towards my seat at the counter.
I jump up onto the stool and start devouring my breakfast. My feet twitch as I think about my day. I love seeing my friends at school and playing during recess. It’s my favorite part of the day: being able to just run around and do whatever I want. I finish my pancakes, and just as I am about to get up, my mom stops me.
“Gillian….”
“Oops, I forgot,” I say, even though I really didn’t. I pick up the pill sitting next to my cup of water. I pop it in my mouth, take a swig of water, open my mouth, and say “Ahhh.”
“Don’t get fresh with me, honey. Go get ready for school.”
I smile at my mom, and head back upstairs. As I get dressed for the day, I start to think about the pill I just took. Why do I have to take it? I wonder what would happen if I didn’t take it. Would I go crazy? Am I already crazy? But I stop there. I’m eight years old. How could I possibly be crazy?

I hug my mom bye, and get on the bus to go to school. I sit in my assigned seat with Johnny.
Johnny is one of my friends from school. I don’t have that many. Some kids think I’m weird because I don’t act like them. They like to do crazy things during recess, like jump off the swings and tackle each other. I normally just like to dance with my friends and jump rope.
We get to school. Johnny and I walk together into the classroom and sit together at our desks. The teacher starts the lesson.
She tells us all to take out a piece of paper and a pencil. We all do. She tells us to copy down what is on the board. For the most part, we all do.
Sometimes, I just don’t understand why some of the kids in my class can’t concentrate like I do. I get frustrated.


A Day in the Life – Age: 18 – 2021

            BEEP BEEP BEEP!!!” I smack the snore button.
            Monday morning, yet again. I lay awake in my bed. What do I have to today? Chem at 9. English at 12. Then, I’m done! WOO!
            I roll out of my bed and try so hard to wake up. I pull out my clothes for the day and start my daily routine. Fully clothed, check. Hair brushed, check. Teeth brushed, check. Shoes on, check. I go through my mental check list and make sure I have everything. Sometimes, everything in my head gets hectic and I tend to forget – Oops, can’t forget my medicine.
            Ah, my medicine. The only thing helping me stay sane. 
            I take my medication and I’m off for the day.

            English is finally over! As I walk out of class, I grab some lunch at the cafeteria. I sit there alone for a few minutes and I see a flyer. It reads,
                                    “Ever just feel like dancing?
                                   Come down to the Dance Studio
                                        No Experience Needed
                                           Just for the fun of it!”

            I contemplated whether or not I would go. As a little girl, I had always danced around but if I got to crazy, my parents would get mad. After a few minutes, I made my decision. I was going to go. Why not? It’s just for fun. I can meet knew people too!
           
            The next day, I was off to the dance studio. I was excited but a little nervous. What if other people were just so much better than me? I never really dance anymore. I’m just going to make a fool out of myself.
            Eventually, I calmed myself down enough to go in. I looked around and saw a dozen girls my age, and a few guys. Everyone was mingling, so I decided to join in. The music turned on and everyone just started breaking out and dancing. I jumped in.
            About an hour later, the music turned off and everybody was packing up. A man came up to me. He introduced himself as Jazz, the owner of the dance studio. He asked if I would like to join a few advanced classes. He said he had never seen anyone come in here and impressed him like I did. I said I would think about signing up for those classes.
            Maybe it was a good idea I didn’t take my medication that day.


A Day in the Life – Age: 28 – 2031

            My eyes spring open. I shoot up out of bed before my alarm can even go off. I make sure I turn it off. It’s Monday, the best day of the week. I pull out my clothes for the day and start my daily routine. Fully clothed, check. Hair brushed, check. Teeth brushed, check. Shoes on, check. I go through my mental checklist to make sure I didn’t forget anything. I’m good. And then, I’m on my way.
            I get in my car and I start off for work.

            I arrive at my destination. Ready Set Dance. A smile immediately graced my face. Coming here never fails to make me smile. It is my passion, what I was meant to do.
            I walk through the doors. I’m greeted by a dozen little girls and a handful of little boys. I try to settle them down enough so we can start the class.
            “Okay, everyone. Settle down. Today, we’re going to have a fun day! I’m just going to put on some music and I want you guys to do whatever you want. So long as you’re dancing somehow.”
            In my mind, this exercise is vital for these kids. They need to know how to express themselves and be creative. I realized that taking the medicine was holding me back. Stopping me from being myself. I don’t want these kids to feel like that. At all.

No comments:

Post a Comment